haubrokprojects

lagerhalle:

abstrakt

raoul de keyser
günther förg
rodney graham
lone haugaard madsen
callum innes
jacob kassay
imi knoebel
meuser
jonathan monk
karin sander
bojan šarčević
wolfgang tillmans
luc tuymans
franz west
heimo zobernig

kasino:

art & project bulletins 1968-1989

opening reception: april 24th 2013, 7-10pm
gallery weekend special: april 26th-28th 2013, 12-6pm
until june 29th 2013: visit by appointment

The history of Herzbergstr. 40-43, Lichtenberg, Berlin

The object’s address had been Herzbergstr. 43-45 until 1943.

List of all tenants:

1901-13
Bank für Sprit- und Produktenhandel AG (spirit factory, erection in 1901)

1914-20
Spritbank AG (spirit factory)

1921
C.A.F. Kahlbaum AG (liqueur factory)

1922-43
Central spirits-office of the Reichsmonopolverwaltung (German monopolies’ administration)

1944-45
Major damages due to WWII bomb attacks, destruction of all historic construction records

07/27/1945
The Sowjetische Militäradministration in Deutschland (SMAD, German Sovjet military administration) calls the Deutsche Zentralverwaltung (DZV, German central administration) via order 17 into life. The grounds are now used to “centrally supervise, distribute and control spirits of all kinds on the account of the state’s executing authority”.

04/17/1948
SMAD-expropriation via command 64. The complex can no longer be sold to private individuals.

10/07/1949
Formation of the GDR

01/01/1950
Acquisition by VVB Spirituszentrale (central spirits-office of the organization of private enterprises)

1.7.1950
Acquisition by Fundament Gesellschaft für Grundbesitz mbH (real estate corporation)

1953
Formation of Hauptabteilung II (key division II) by merging the divisions in charge of espionage and counterintelligence. Central tasks of Hauptabteilung II: the infiltration of the capitalist abroad. The division “Verkehr” (transportation) is conducted by two party-owned corporations, one of them Deutsche Kraftverkehr Grünau located on Herzbergstr. 40 – 43.

1954-55
Reconstruction for new purposes

08/13/1961
Erection of the Berlin Wall

01/27/1962
Nationalization: The complex is handed over to the Zentralkomitee (ZK, central committee) of the Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschland (SED, German socialist unity party)

1971-89
The grounds are subject to secrecy. They work as one of several objects belonging to the division “Verkehr”, controlled by the SED’s central committee. The yards, protectively surrounded by barbwire, host craftsman’s shops, car parks, service units and administrative entities. The alias “Verkehr” conceals a conspiratorially acting network, supplying the DKP (German communist party) and other communist formations with vast amounts of money, keeping up secret connections to West German communists. Its main task is the financing of friendly foreign parties and other organizations. Doing so, the “Verkehr”-division works closely with the Unternehmen für Kommerzielle Koordinierung (KoKo, corporation for commercial coordination) of former State Secretary and SED-currency procurer Alexander Schalck-Golodkowski. One part of the cooperation is a secretly operated border gate through the Berlin Wall. (further information: Der Spiegel 34/1990, 08/20/1990)

1991
As determined by the unification treaty, the grounds are now under the control of the German Department of Treasury, successor organization of the Reichsmonopolverwaltung

1991-2009
Administration by the Bundesanstalt für Immobilienaufgaben (BIMA, German office for real estate concerns). The archives of the former KPD, banned in 1956, are discovered in the basement of the building complex.

2010
Acquisition by venturenauten GmbH

01/01/2013
Acquisition by the current owners

No liability assumed!

haubrokprojects
FAHRBEREITSCHAFT
herzbergstraße 40-43
10365 berlin
www.haubrok.org

supported by haubrokfoundation